Handling of reprisal complaints
As soon as we receive a reprisal complaint, we check whether we can process it. If the reprisal you are experiencing is not within our jurisdiction, we refer you to the appropriate resource promptly.
- If the complaint is admissible, we perform an audit and launch a rigorous and impartial investigation.
- We gather the relevant information from the parties concerned (the complainant, the person who carried out the reprisal, witnesses, etc. Note that because of the nature of this kind of complaint, and in order to conduct a rigorous and impartial investigation, we must, barring exceptional circumstances, disclose the complainant's identity to the public body or person that or who carried out reprisal.
- In investigating, the Québec Ombudsman has the same powers as the commissioners appointed under the Act respecting public inquiry commissions, except the power to impose imprisonment. It can therefore require the provision of documents and summon anyone who has information needed for the investigation.
- The public bodies must cooperate with the Québec Ombudsman throughout the investigation, give it access to all documents and answer all its questions.
- When the investigation is completed, the Québec Ombudsman must report its conclusions to the highest ranking administrative official within the public body concerned, or if the circumstances warrant it, to the minister responsible for the public body.
- Where applicable, we make recommendations aimed at rectifying the situation and see to it that they are implemented. Fines may be imposed further to an investigation we conducted.
- If we feel that the follow-up to our recommendations is unsatisfactory, we notify the minister responsible for the public body concerned. If we feel that it is called for, we may also report the situation in our annual report or in a special report tabled in the National Assembly.
Our Service Statement presents our commitments regarding the services we offer. Feel free to make any suggestions aimed at improving our services.